Started in 2006 National Pet Day was created by Colleen Paige to celebrate the joy pets bring to our lives and to create public awareness about the plight of many different kinds of animals awaiting a forever home in shelters and rescues all around the globe.
Let’s celebrate this wonderful event by helping out our local Animal Shelters or Rescue Group today!
How can you help?
- Donate needed supplies – most shelters will have a list of needed supplies on their website. Often they are in need of items you may have lying around your house, like old towels and blankets or pet friendly cleaning supplies like paper towels.
- Don’t have time to shop? Consider a monetary donation to help offset food and medical care
- Volunteer your time to care for the animals
- Get the word out – tell friends and family how they can help
- Consider adopting one of the wonderful pets in need of a new home.
To find a list of local Shelters and Rescue Groups in your area go to: https://www.petfinder.com/animal-shelters-and-rescues/search/
National Pet Day is a good time to focus on your pet too
- Go through your pet’s toys looking for any toys that are no longer safe for them.
- Look at the recall sites to see if there is a recall on an item or food that you have for your pet
- Look around your house to make sure it is pet friendly. Keep cords and toxins secure from your pets. Research house plants to see if toxic to pets
- Verify that you are up to date on your pet’s medical exams and vaccinations. If not make sure to schedule an appointment.
- Check your pet’s collar to make sure it fits correctly
- Ensure your pets tags are up to date and secure
- Give your pet some extra special attention.