If you share an apartment or condo in Chicago with a dog, you know that bathing your pup at home can be a back-breaking experience. Not only do you need to spend a lot of time as a contortionist, but then you also need to clean up the mess once you are done. Of course, all this is assuming that your dog can fit in your bathroom. But now, you have another option to get your dog clean. That is going to a self-serve dog wash right here in Chicago.
But, there aren’t that many in the city and finding one can be difficult. To help you, we have done the research for you.
In this post we have listed out the best self-serve dog washing stations we could find in Chicago and the surrounding area.
Information in this post is subject to change without notice. While we strive to insure accuracy on Happyoodles.com, accuracy cannot be guaranteed. Also, the mentioning of a business in this post should not be viewed as an endorsement.
How much does it cost to use a self-serve dog wash station in Chicago?
The cost to use a self-serve dog wash in Chicago is between $15 and $30. While many businesses charge a flat rate some places charge by weight. In addition to the self-serve pet wash, some places offer other add-on services like nail trimming and ear cleaning. Add-on service come with an extra fee.
Selecting a Self-Service Dog Wash Station in Chicago, IL
While Chicago has relatively few self-serve dog washes when you consider the size of the city, you will still need to decide which one to go to.
While going to the nearest one may be convenient, you might be better off checking out a few, then deciding which one is best for you. Self washing stations are not all alike and will differ from one business to the next.
First try to visit the store without your dog. This way you won’t be distracted when you are there. If there is an attendant make sure to ask any questions you may have.
Here are a few suggestions on what to look for and ask about.
- Look for safely features like non-slip mats or flooring in the tub and on the floor outside of the tub
- How do dogs enter the tub? Is there a ramp or steps to get into the bath? If so, will your dog be able to safely use them? Some older dogs might have a hard time with stairs. If this is the case for you, look for a place with a ramp.
- Are there tub restraints? How many? Tub restraints allow you to use both hands to wash your dog without worrying they may jump out.
- Are the tubs cleaned in between use?
- How much time do you get in the tub and at what cost? Twenty to thirty-minutes is usually enough time to wash a dog. But some long haired dogs can take longer. Can you add extra time if you need it?
- What supplies are included with the price? Shampoo and conditioner? Brushes, towels or an air blower?
- Do you need to make an appointment? Do they allow walk-ins?
- What other services do they provide? Some stores may offer additional services like nail trimming and ear cleaning for an extra fee.
- If you have a large dog like a English Goldendoodle make sure the tub is big enough for them to comfortable turn around.
- What form of payment do they take?
How to Use a Self Serve Dog Wash Station in Chicago
After you have chosen the best place to go, it’s time to bring your dog to get washed. Here are some tips based on our own experiences. They may or may not apply to you. Please use your best judgement when using a dog washing station.
- Make sure to gather all your supplies before you go. Items that might not be included are; a dog brush, face wipes, preferred shampoos and conditioners.
- If you have a reactive dog, go early in the morning or during the week when the store is less crowded.
- Thoroughly brush your dog’s coat before going to the dog wash. This is an important step if you have a long or curly haired dog, like a Toy Goldendoodle or F1B Mini Goldendoodle.
- Take your dog for a walk to eliminate and burn off some energy before going into the store.
- Pay at the cash register. If the dog bath is token operated, pay for the token then insert into machine only once you are ready to begin.
- Make sure to use the provided tub restraints. This will prevent your pup from getting out and possibly getting hurt.
- Check the water temperature to ensure it’s not too hot or too cold for your dog.
- Start washing your pup. Begin by rinsing them. Make sure you don’t get water in their ears, as it may cause an infection.
- Next apply the shampoo and lather up. I prefer to start at the base of the neck and move down towards their backside. Don’t forget to wash underneath.
- If your dog has a thick coat, a rubber dog bath brush will help you get down to their skin
- When you are done washing make sure to rinse them thoroughly. Any shampoo that is left behind may irritate their skin.
- If you choose to use a conditioner this is the time to apply it. Rinse it out if necessary.
- Now it’s time to dry your pup. Squeeze out as much water from their fur as you can. This will shorten the drying time.
- Next, towel dry them. Then use the air blower to completely dry your dog.
- If your dog has fleas call the retailer first before you bring your dog in. They will typically have special procedures to ensure the fleas do not spread from one dog to the next.
Where to Find a Do it YourSelf Dog Wash Station in Chicago, IL
You can find self-serve dog washing stations in a variety of locations throughout Chicago. Please visit their websites to get up-to-date information on their services and what is included. Here are the ones we found.
1. Le Barkery and Spa
You will find Le Barkery and Spa in the Buena Park Historic District in northern Chicago. They are conveniently located near multiple parks. In addition to the DIY dog bath they also offer an array of specialty dog treats, toys and accessories.
- Address: 4151 N Broadway St Chicago, IL 60613
- Phone: (773) 937-7168
- Email: [email protected]
You can book your dog wash appointment online. They have two time options to choose from. Either a 25-minute time limit or a 35-minutes time limit. The extra time can be used for washing a second small or medium sized dog.
A do it yourself dog wash includes:
- Pet Magic Organic Shampoo
- Burt’s Bees Natural Oatmeal Conditioner
- State of the art blow dryer
- Microfiber plush towel
- Signature Orange Lavender Scent spray
They are a B.Y.O.B (Bring your own brush). If you don’t have a brush you can purchase one there.
2. Bark n Bubbles Doggy Day Spa
Our next self serve dog wash is Bark N Bubbles Doggy Day Spa. You can find them in the Hyde Park section of Chicago. In addition to the self-serve bath, Bark n Bubbles Doggy Day Spa offers a luxury spa bath where someone else does the work for you and full-service grooming.
- Address: 1433 E Hyde park boulevard Chicago IL 60615
- Phone: 773-236-0886
- Email: [email protected]
A self-serve dog wash includes:
- 4 featured soaps
- Blow dryer
They have a full menu of a la carte’ items that include nail trimming.
Kriser’s is a multi-location pet supply store in the Chicago area. Only three of their locations in Chicago off a self-serve dog wash station. In addition to the self serve wash, they also offer full-service grooming at some locations.
Self Service Dog Wash Locations in Chicago
- Kriser’s – River North
- 453 W. Chicago Ave. Chicago, Illinois 60654
- Phone: 872-888-6512
- Kriser’s – Clynbourn
- 2055 North Clybourn Ave, Chicago, Illinois, 60614
- Phone: 773-871-3663
- Kriser’s – Bucktown
- 1658 North Milwaukee Ave. Chicago, Illinois, 60647
- Phone: 773-235-1790
A self-serve dog wash at Kriser’s includes:
- Ramp Access Tubs
- Blow dryer
They also offer shampoo upgrades for shed control and skin soothing. Ask them about their discounted wash packages.
4. Urban Canine Doggy Day Spa
The Urban Canine Doggy Day Spa is located in the Wicker Park Section of Chicago. In addition to the self-serve dog wash, they also offer grooming services and dog walking.
You can find them at
- Address: 2336 W. North Ave., Chicago IL, 60647
- Phone: 773-278-6888
A DIY dog wash at Urban Canine includes:
- Raised tubs
- Removable steps
- Variety of high-quality shampoos
- Large bathing tubs
- Professional dryers
- Fluffy towels
5. Salon Dog
Our next dog wash is located in the Logan Square neighborhood. In addition to the self wash they also offer full-service grooming, and pet supplies. Walk-ins are welcomed.
You can find them at:
- Address: 2542 W Fullerton Ave, Chicago, IL 60647
- Contact: 773-799-8889
The self-wash station is located in a private room and provides you with most of what you need, including:
- Blow Dryer
- Pet Cologne
6. Petco – Roscoe Village
Petco is a large pet supply retailer with stores throughout the US. In addition to pet supplies and grooming services, they also offer self-serve dog wash stations at select stores. One such store is the Roscoe Village store in the northern section of Chicago.
You can find them at:
Address: 3320 North Western Avenue, Chicago, Illinois, 60618
Once you arrive at Petco you need to check-in at the grooming salon desk. There, an associate will help you get started. There are three tubs at this location.
Petco provides you with just about everything you may need to wash and dry your pet including:
7. Mutt Jackson at Montrose Beach
If you are looking for a place to clean your dog after a day at the beach, Mutt Jackson has you covered. Well, as long as that beach is the Montrose Dog Beach. Mutt Jackson offers outdoor dog bath stations here. You can find it along the path to the beach.
You can find them at:
Address: 610 W Lawrence Ave, Chicago, IL 60640
Self-Service Wash Includes:
- Elevated tubs
- De-Flea and De-Tick Shampoo
- Ability to disinfect the wash tub interior
- Blow-Dry with Low or High settings
8. Doggy Go-Go Pet Day Spa
Our next self-serve dog wash is located just outside of Chicago in Riverside, Illinois. It’s about a twenty-minute drive from downtown Chicago. Doggy Go-Go operates on an appointment-based schedule. Their hours are flexible, so it is important that you make an appointment to ensure it is open.
You can find them at:
- Address: 36 East Ave Riverside, IL 60546
- Phone: 708-813-4546 (GOGO)
Their self-serve pet wash includes:
- Elevated Tub with stairs
- Shampoo (can be upgraded for special needs)
- High-Velocity Hair Dryer
- Ear Cleaner
- Ear Wipes
Make sure to ask them about their loyalty package and any specials they may have going on when you visit.
9. Spotless Dog Wash
Our last self-serve dog wash is also located outside of Chicago in Riverside, Illinois. This place is just a short distance from Northwestern University. In addition to the self-wash station, they also offer full-service grooming and spa treatments for your pup to enjoy.
Spotless Dog Wash offers elevated dog baths for both large and small dogs. The small to medium sized tubs have fold away ramps and the large tubs are step-in. At Spotless Dog Wash the tubs are separated with walls between them and the drying stations are in a different location.
You can find Spotless Dog Wash at:
- Address: 1121 Emerson St, Evanston, IL 60201
- Contact: 847-563-8061
Walk-in are welcomed here and they do not have a time limit to wash your pup.
What you get at their DIY Dog Wash:
Washing Stations Include:
- 48” Ramped Tubs with Sprayer and Comfortable Restraints
- 58” Step-In Tub for Larger Breeds and Elderly Dogs
- Non-slip mats
- Salt-Free Shampoos PH Balanced and Locally Made
- Micro-Fiber Towels
- Silicone Scrub Brush
Drying Stations Include:
- Dog-Friendly Blow Dryers
- Ear Wipes
- Brushes and Combs
- Dental Wipes
- Nail Clippers
- Detangling Conditioner