If you have ever tried to bathe your dog at home, especially if your home is a tiny NYC apartment, you know that it’s a back breaking job. Not only do you need to spend a lot of time as a contortionist, but then you also need to clean up the mess once you are done. Let’s not forget that all that hair can potentially clog your plumbing. Now, you have another option to get your dog clean. That is going to a self-service dog wash in right here in New York City (NYC).
But, there aren’t that many in the city and finding one can be difficult. To help you, we have done the research for you.
In this post we have listed out the best self serve dog washing stations we could find in New York City.
Information in this post is subject to change without notice. While we strive to insure accuracy on Happyoodles.com, accuracy cannot be guaranteed. Also, the mentioning of a business in this post should not be viewed as an endorsement.
How much does it cost to use a self-service dog wash station in New York City (NY)?
The cost to use a self-serve dog wash in NYC is between $15 and $35. While many businesses charge a flat rate some places charge by weight. In addition to the self-serve pet wash, some places offer other add-on services like nail trimming and ear cleaning. The add-on services are most common at places that offer full service grooming.
Selecting a Self-Service Dog Wash Station in New York City (NYC)
While NYC has relatively few self-serve dog washes considering the size of the city, you will still need to decide which one to go to.
While going to the nearest one may be convenient, you might be better off checking out a few, then deciding which one is best for you. Self washing stations are not all alike and will differ from one business to the next.
First try visiting the store without your dog. This way you won’t be distracted when you are there. If there is an attendant make sure to ask any questions you may have.
Here are a few suggestions on what to look for and ask about.
- Look for safely features like non-slip mats or flooring in the tub and on the floor outside of the tub
How do dogs enter the tub? Are there ramps or steps to get into the bath? If so, will your dog be able to safely use them? Some older dogs might have a hard time using stairs.
- Are there tub restraints? How many? Tub restraints allow you to use both hands to wash your dog without worrying they may try to jump out.
- Are the tubs cleaned in between use?
- How much time do you get in the tub and at what cost? Can you add extra time if you need it?
- What supplies are included with the price? Shampoo and conditioner? Towels or an air blower?
- Do you need to make an appointment? Do they allow walk-ins?
- What other services do they provide? Some stores may offer additional services like nail trimming and ear cleaning for an extra fee.
- If you have a large dog like a English Goldendoodle make sure the tub is big enough for them to comfortable turn around.
- What form of payment do they take?
How to Use a Self Serve Dog Wash Station in New York (NY)
After you have done your pre-check of the facility, it’s time to bring your dog to get washed. Here are some tips based on our own experiences. They may or may not apply to you. Please use your best judgement when using a dog washing station.
- Make sure to gather all your supplies before you go. Items that might not be included are; a dog brush, face wipes, preferred shampoos and conditioners.
- If you have a reactive dog, go early in the morning or during the week when the store is less crowded.
- Thoroughly brush your dog’s coat before going to the dog wash. This is an important step if you have a long or curly haired dog, like a mini Goldendoodle or mini Bernedoodle. Water can make fur mats worst if not brushed out ahead of time.
- Take your dog for a walk to eliminate and burn off some energy before going into the store. Many of the dog wash stations in this post are located near dog runs.
- The pet wash area will be filled with smells. Give your dog a chance to smell the area and become comfortable.
- Pay at the cash register. If the dog bath is token operated, pay for the token then insert into machine only once you are ready to begin.
- Make sure to use the provided tub restraints. This will prevent your pup from getting out and possibly getting hurt.
- Check the water temperature to ensure it’s not too hot or too cold for your dog.
- Start washing your pup. Begin by rinsing them. Make sure you don’t get water in their ears, as it may cause an infection.
- Next apply the shampoo and lather up. I prefer to start at the base of the neck and move down towards their backside. Don’t forget to wash underneath.
- If your dog has a thick coat, a rubber dog bath brush will help you get down to their skin
- When you are done washing make sure to rinse them thoroughly. Any shampoo that is left behind may irritate their skin.
- If you choose to use a conditioner this is the time to apply it.
- Now it’s time to dry your pup. Squeeze out as much water from their fur as you can. This will shorten the drying time. Next towel dry them. Then use the air blower to completely dry your dog.
- If your dog has fleas call the retailer first before you bring your dog in. They will typically have special procedures to ensure the fleas do not spread from one dog to the next.
Where to Find a Self-Serve Dog Wash Station in New York City (NYC)
You can find self-serve dog washing stations in a variety of locations throughout New York. Please visit their websites to get up-to-date information on their services and what is included. Here are the ones we found.
Self-service Do It Yourself Dog Wash in the Bronx
1. Woof & Ready Grooming/Self-Service Pet Wash
You will find Woof and Ready Self-Service Pet Wash in the Woodlawn Heights section of the Bronx. It’s just a 10-minute walk from the Oneida Run in Van Cortland Park.
- Address: 4354 Katonah Avenue, Bronx, NY 10470
- Contact Number: 929-222-3675
Woof and Ready uses the Evolution Dog Wash, which is an all in one dog wash station. All you need to do is enter the payment right into the station and select your starting option. The machine will dispense everything you need to wash your dog. It even has an attached air dryer. You can see a demonstration of the dog washing station below. Though, the dog washing station models might vary.
Included in the price of the wash:
- Blow dryers
Woof and Ready also sells some dog toys, treats and food. But the quantity is limited by space.
DIY Dog Washing in Brooklyn
2. Bark Slope Self-Serve
Our next DIY dog bath is located in Park Slope, Brooklyn. Bark Slope requires that your dog is up-to-date on their rabies and other required vaccinations. You will need to send them proof before you are able to use their self-service pet tubs. Please contact them directly to learn what they require for proof.
You will find Bark Slope at:
- Address: 447 1st Street, Brooklyn, NY 11215
- Contact: 516-534-6698
- Email: [email protected]
Bark Slope has an online reservation system. Reservations must be secured with a credit card. Cancellation fees may apply.
Included in the self-serve dog wash is:
- Adjustable tubs
- Face shampoo
- Rubber aprons
3. BFF Pet Wash
If you are looking for a DIY dog wash in the Greenpoint section of Brooklyn, BFF Pet Wash offers multiple Self-serve Dog Washing stations at their store. BFF Pet Wash requires that your dog is up-to-date on all required vaccinations. You will need to show proof of vaccines if asked, to use the dog wash.
- Address: 192 Driggs Ave. Brooklyn, NY
- Contact: 718-349-8705
In addition to the self-serve dog wash BFF offers full grooming services and add-ons like ear cleaning, teeth cleaning and nail trimming for an extra charge.
Included in the self-serve dog wash is:
- Fresh Towels
You can make a reservation through their online system or they accept walk-ins during certain times of the day.
4. Bushwick Bark
Bushwick Bark has two locations, but only the Knickerbocker location has a self-serve dog wash. As you can tell by the name they are located in the Bushwick section of Brooklyn. They are only a 6-minute walk from the Maria Hernandez Park Dog Run.
The Bushwick Bark Dog Wash station is in a glassed-in room in the front window. There is a shower with a tile floor and a bench. Make sure to bring waterproof boots or sandals that can get wet.
Price of the dog wash includes:
- Use of shower
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Blow dryer
You do not need to make an appointment for the self-serve wash, it’s a walk-in service.
5. Muddy Paws Self-Service Dog Wash
The Muddy Paws DIY dog wash is located in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn. It’s about a ten-minute walk from the McCarren Park dog run. Muddy Paws is more than just a DIY Dog Wash business, it also offers a selection of holistic pet products.
You can find Muddy Paws at:
- Address: 447 Graham Ave, Brooklyn, NY, United States, New York
Muddy Paws has a dog shower rather than a tub. The shower is located in a self-contained room with an elevated platform for your dog to stand on. Though, it’s probably too small for larger dogs. Make sure to wear something on your feet that you can get wet.
Included in the price are:
- Choice of three shampoos
- Ari dryer
- Clean up
Self Serve Dog Wash in Manhattan
6. Now You’re Clean
Now You’re Clean is the only self-serve dog wash that I have found in Manhattan. Though, they do have two locations. One in the east village and one by the west village.
Here, they use the iClean Futura Dog Wash Station. A futuristic dog washing station that includes most everything you need to wash your dog. You can see it in action on their website.
In addition to the DIY dog bath, they also sell dog treats, toys and some pet accessories. Now You’re Clean offers single day washes or a package of washes at a reduced rate.
- 279 E 10th Street, New York, NY 10009
- 113 W 10th Street, New York, NY 1000
- Contact 332-257-2376
Most of what you need to clean your pup is included:
- Blow dryers
- After wash mist
DIY Dog Washing in Queens
7. Astoria Dog Wash
You will find Astoria Dog Wash conveniently located between Astoria Park and the Astoria Blvd Station. It’s just a three-minute walk from the Tri-borough dog run making it easy to clean your pup up after some playtime with friends.
- Address: 26-14 Hoyt Avenue South, Astoria, NY 11102
- Contact Number: 267-914-7020
Astoria Dog Wash offers six raised tubs in three sizes including jumbo for large dogs. They also provide everything you need to clean your pup including:
- Blow dryers
Astoria operates on a walk-in bases, so no reservation is necessary. When you go ask about their loyalty program.